Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Betawho?

I’m sitting here in my cubicle, before the day starts, looking around at various prompts and what-have-you, to see if I can come up with something to write about. So far, nothing is proving to be very inspirational. It could be because I’m still feeling half asleep. I’m having an extremely hard time shaking the groggies off this morning, and it’s making my wonder why I have this pathological need to get to work 40 minutes early, instead of using the time to get a little more sleep. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop? The world may never know.

The other day I was having a conversation with co-workers about things we remembered from our childhoods. I brought up the Betamax, and one of the girls gave me a look and said, “What is that?”

“You know, VHS vs. Betamax. Before it was VHS vs. DVDs. LaserDisc was in there for a while, too, but that never really took off here.”

Still with the blank look.

“Tape cassette vs. CDs?”

I could see the light bulb starting to turn on, but it was still pretty dim.

“Sony HD vs. Blu-ray?”

Bingo.

Christ, do I feel old. Thank god I didn’t bring up eight-track, I might have lost her completely.

This whole post may seem like one giant non sequitur, but I had that Tootsie Roll commercial flash into my mind, which brought the whole nostalgia conversation to mind, and…nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment